About the Clery Act
In 1990, the federal government enacted the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), which requires any college or university that receives federal student financial aid to report certain crime statistics, issue campus alerts, and provide a detailed annual security report, among other compliance requirements. The Clery Act is named after Jeanne Clery, who in 1986, was raped and murdered in her dorm room at Lehigh University. Following her death, Jeanne’s parents fought for legislative reform to enhance campus safety. They felt that students and their families had a right to know more information regarding the safety of college campuses. The goal of the Clery Act is to provide transparency and ensure that students, prospective students, parents and employees have access to accurate information about crimes committed on campus and campus security procedures.
The Annual Clery Report
For more information about the University's Clery-related processes, please see the Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report.
Report a Crime
- To help maintain a safe and secure campus environment, all crimes should be reported promptly to law enforcement.
- Crimes should be reported as soon as possible (within minutes, not hours, days or weeks) so that law enforcement can better apprehend the perpetrator and also notify the campus community about any serious or ongoing threat to health or safety.
- Report by phone (not by email or text) so dispatchers can get all the information needed to send help.
- For emergencies, life-threatening situations, or crimes in progress, call 9-1-1.
- For non-emergency assistance and information on campus, call the University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) at 541-346-2919.
- For off-campus non-emergency assistance or to report past crimes, call Eugene Police at 541-682-5111, or Springfield Police at 541-726-3714.
- You may make a report at the UOPD Station, 2141 E. 15th Ave. in Eugene (at the corner of 15th Avenue and Walnut Street) during business hours, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday excluding holidays.
- After hours, call 541-346-2919 and let the dispatchers know that you would like to come to the station to make a report, so that an officer can be present to let you in.
The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) is the safety and law enforcement agency serving the University of Oregon and off-campus properties. For more information and resources please visit their website.
For questions regarding Clery Act compliance, crime reporting, and Campus Security Authority (CSA) training, contact the University's Clery Compliance Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.